Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Eh, Sometimes I'm Right, Sometimes I'm Wrong

What a whirlwind of a week so far!  Lots of information and tests have been flying in every direction. After getting blood tests done before my MRA last week, I got stuck again for more blood tests on Monday.  Immediately following, I met with the Oncologist to discuss our next steps in keeping cancer away.  This is where I got some things wrong.

I was under the impression, as I wrote in a previous blog post, that the Herceptin I get every three weeks blocks estrogen.  That is not true.  It blocks the HER2neu protein.  HER2neu is involved with normal cell growth, but also makes my particular type of breast cancer grow.  It's what they call targeted therapy for HER2neu positive breast cancer.

Then I've talked about the other drug the doctor wants to put me on, Tamoxifen.  I "thought" this drug was to put me in menopause and keep me there.  That is partially true.  Tamoxifen blocks estrogen from getting to certain types of cells, like breast cells.  Sometimes the side effect is menopause, sometimes not.  And for the record, I am not currently in menopause as I thought.  The chemo temporarily paused the hormone cycle, but according to the labs, my body is back to producing estrogen.

But because I had complete pathological response and the cancer is gone, Tamoxifen now becomes one of those things (like radiation) that they really don't know if I need, but have always done it.  The doctor wants me to try it, and I have agreed.  The side effects can be brutal and painful, and he said I may want to kill him a couple weeks after starting, but just to try in case it can help.  He said that 1 in 100 stop taking the drug, and that is a very low amount for them.  I'll start it a couple weeks after the surgery and will update later.  But if I cannot take it for some reason, it may not affect anything anyway since the cancer is gone.

Also, according to my labs, I'm am back to being VERY Hypothyroid.  I've been taking thyroid replacement since 1998, so it's no surprise that was the case. But I had weaned myself off the medication and increased iodine in the hopes that it was due to an iodine deficiency.   Unfortunately, over the past three months, my thyroid levels have increased exponentially, and I've been seeing the evidence in symptoms like fatigue and puffiness (yes, that is an actual symptom).  The good part is, I gained about five pounds, so that will help with the upcoming surgery and having enough "extra" to make a new breast.  Meanwhile, I started back on my thyroid medication today, and I'll still continue to take the iodine as that definitely helps with energy levels.  Hopefully my hair will grow back in even faster and I'll shed a few pounds after surgery too.

The Oncologist also pointed out that my plan of following common sense doesn't always work when it comes to medicine.  What works in petri dishes and mice doesn't necessarily translate to humans. What you think will make sense to take (ie supplements or medication) may in fact do the opposite of what you want.  There's never enough science or testing to make anything surefire or foolproof.  Hell, even the placebo effect has been proven to work.  So, nobody really has all the answers.  We're just doing what we think is right and pray that it all works.

They are trying to conserve what veins I have 
left in my arms so that I don't have to have a 
Picc line put in for the rest of my infusions.

Anyway, after that frank and slightly depressing discussion, I headed back to Spartanburg today for Pre-op at the plastic surgeon and the hospital.  OPERATION NEW BOOB will commence on May 6th, and I had to register, do MORE blood tests, sign consent forms, have an EKG and Chest X-Ray.  They also explained, in detail, everything that could possibly go wrong during or after surgery.  I have to say, after five hours of this, I was feeling a little nervous.  But I trust the plastic surgeon and I know it will work out.

Speaking of the plastic surgeon, one of things I actually got right was requesting the MRA last week instead of the CT scan.  Not only did I save myself on the radiation, but the doctor was very pleased with the images and would like to start using that for future patients.  Apparently, it took half the time for the procedure as well.  That was a proud little moment.

Yep, that's my boob, just laying on a counter, while I do a chest X-ray.
I made the tech feel it too. She said it felt real. 

All in all, the plan is falling into place, and I am on track to a new, super-fly, cancer free body and getting back to being mother to my children.  They have, and always will be the goal, motivation and strength during this whole process.   Not long now!!!

What my body will look like after surgery,
as evidenced by a Wonder Woman apron
that my sister sent to me.


  1. You certainly are a "Wonder Woman" Pray That every thing will go well.


  2. Ann you were on my mind all day yesterday. Everything WILL go well.